A schedule update from BIR

To Our Racing Community,
The racing season is here but you wouldn’t know it by looking at the track. It’s pretty desolate out there, but that’s where we’re at with this COVID-19 pandemic.

We appreciate your patience with us during these past few months and we apologize for not providing you with more updates, but the situation is this: We’re in limbo. We’re working closely with Crow Wing County, which has done a great job of giving us a little wiggle room to get small private groups on the track. But they need to move forward very cautiously as well, and we understand that and are happy to comply with their directives.

Needless to say, we’re just as frustrated and impatient with the situation as you are. Maybe more. We’ve heard from many of you but most of you have taken a wait-and-see approach, which we appreciate. Here’s where we stand:

Last weekend’s Bracket Drag Racing Series race was postponed and moved back to this weekend (May 8-10). The Central Roadracing Association was scheduled for Superbike racing this weekend but they cancelled, so we moved Bracket Drag Racing back a week. As of right now, it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to race this weekend either. We’re looking at the schedule for an open weekend for rescheduling it.

We’re still not sure about the Bracket Drag Racing Series weekend, May 15-17, which includes the Glacier Lakes Audi Club on the road course Saturday and the Slowpokes Car Club on Sunday. We’re holding out hope that we can get some cars down the dragstrip and on the road course, but we just don’t know right now. The same goes for the rest of the season. I keep telling people that I feel like a plane that’s full of passengers and sitting at the end of the runway ready to take off but the control tower won’t let me!

For the time being, we’re trying – at the very least – to get our racers on the track. We still don’t know exactly what that would look like or how it would work but we’re working on it. It could be that there would be no camping, and it could be that racers would be restricted to a certain number of family and crew members, and it would most certainly involve mandatory social distancing everywhere on the property. We would look to everyone for self-policing, and those who don’t comply will be immediately removed from the track. The Wheelie Bar, of course, would be closed except for possibly off-sale liquor sales and take-out.

There will be changes to our Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals weekend. The NHRA West Central Division 5 just announced that we’re moving Thunder at the Lakes (our divisional race) back from Aug. 7-9 to Aug. 13-14. So the divisional race will be Thursday and Friday, and then the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series will start qualifying Friday afternoon and run through Sunday. There are a bunch of moving parts to this that we’re addressing, including pricing, ticketing, etc., so we’ll keep you updated as we get everything set.

An important thing you should know about the Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals, as well as ALL our races, is that if you’ve purchased tickets for one of our events that is cancelled because of the COVID-19 outbreak, you will either be fully refunded or you will receive a credit that you can use for future events.  

This COVID virus is a nasty thing, and we’re taking it very seriously here at BIR. The last thing we want is for racers and their families to contract it while at BIR and infect people back in their communities. So, we ask for your help to make sure that doesn’t happen, and that starts with everyone being patient with us while we work with Crow Wing County and try to salvage as much of the season as possible.

Stay safe, everyone, and we’ll try to update you as often as possible. Keep an eye on our website, our Social Media channels and our app for more updates.

Kristi Copham – BIR Owner